We are looking for an enthusiastic aspiring solicitor to join our team as a Trainee Solicitor, primarily working in our Family Law Team. The person appointed will:
- Have completed a Qualifying Law Degree or alternative qualifying qualification (GDL or similar).
- Have completed, or expecting to complete their LPC by this Summer.
- Have an interest in pursing a career in Family Law, whilst gaining experience in Residential Conveyancing and Wills & Probate.
- Be expected to provide professional, efficient and friendly service to clients.
- Be able to communicate clearly and appropriately, both orally and verbally with other parties whilst maintaining excellent working relationships.
- Be expected to assist in the preparation of cases, usually under pressure and to tight deadlines. You must, therefore, be able to prioritise workloads at any given time.
- Be capable of delegating tasks to paralegals, supervising where appropriate and working on your own initiative.
As a practise that helps our clients with some of the biggest moments of their lives, we understand the valuable role that those with different lived experiences can bring to our organisation and our clients. As such, we would encourage applications from those from diverse backgrounds, including those from BPoC, LGBTQ+ and differently abled or socio-economic backgrounds.
1. Case Management
These duties will initially be conducted under the supervision of a Senior Solicitor:-
- Conduct interviews with clients
- Gain understanding client expectations and requirements
- Assess legal problems
- Advise clients on costs
- Conduct legal research
- Successfully deliver transactional goals
- Devise outline strategy for case
- Draft case papers
- Obtain information from relevant experts
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the other side’s case
- Brief a barrister
- Negotiate settlements
- Meet deadlines for court appearance
- Issue proceedings
- Attend court to conduct advocacy and/or with counsel and/or to take notes
- Make applications to the court
- Maintain confidentiality
- Comply with all office procedure requirements
- Maintain the training record
- Conduct self-appraisal and development planning
- Actively participate in supervision and appraisal
- Complete time recording
- Maintain files (usually electronically but also in paper)
- Deal with billing, paying costs and closing files
- Follow administrative systems and procedures
- Gain competency in the skill standards
- Participate in team meetings and social and charitable activities
- Attend internal courses and pass the Professional Skills Course
- Keep up to date with law and practice
- Assist business development
- Achieve admission to the roll
Salary and benefits:
The position is offered on a full-time basis, however we are flexible as to working hours for the right candidate. We also operate a fully flexible working environment, with a mixture of working on site and from home.
- Competitive salary based on competency
- 25 days annual leave (increasing up to 30 days) plus normal Bank Holidays.
- Life Assurance scheme.
- Wellbeing activities.
To apply for this role, please send your CV to Alex Ronaldson, Operations Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org.